So your'e off to Africa on a safari? Lucky you. The idea of a safari brings with it images of red sunsets, the BIG 5 and savannas of golden grass.
Sometimes travelling on safari can be limiting with the size and weight of the bag you can take with you, as restrictions apply for light aircraft travel (sometimes as little as 12-15 kgs including hand luggage). Here are some essentials on what to pack.
- High-SPF sunscreen, insect repellent and a sunhat
- Comfortable lightweight clothes of neutral colors
- Comfortable walking shoes (or boots) and socks
- Maybe a pair of open sports sandals for general daytime use in warmer months
- A light fleece or sweater for the evenings.
- T-shirt, shirt or blouse - long sleeves and collars help to protect from the sun and mosquitoes
- A pair of safari trousers - those that zip off at the knees are very handy, too
- Bandanna or cotton scarf and a sarong
- Swimsuit - a number of lodges and camps have swimming pools
- An elegant casual outfit for dinner at the smarter hotels
- A light, compact raincoat if it is likely you will encounter rain (gorilla and chimp trekking)
- BE AWARE THAT NEUTRAL CLOTHING COLOURS ARE A MUST AS BRIGHT COLOURS WILL BRING ATTENTION TO YOU AND MAY SCARE ANIMALS OFF
Try to wear as many of your heavy clothes/shoes as possible on the plane as this will take up less space in your already minimal luggage space.
The type of bag you take is also important as the weight and size restrictions can make finding something that covers both challenging. Good options are backpacks, trolley bags and duffel bags as they are lightweight and narrow.
At Luggage Hub we have a variety of bags to suit all situations, so pop in to our fantastic store or browse our website to find the perfect fit for your safari dream holiday.
Products listed below:
Share this post